Volunteers are an essential part of Hospice Tairawhiti. They play a crucial role within the organisation and are highly valued and appreciated alongside our paid staff. Volunteer's contribtion enhances the services we are able to offer patients and whanau. All volunteers are supported by the volunteer coordinator.
Volunteering opportunities within Hospice Tairawhiti include:
- Hospice Shop - The Hospice Shop supports the work of Hospice Tairawhiti, raising funds to ensure services remain free of charge to patients and families. Shop volunteer duties include sorting and preparing donations for sale, stocking and presenting the shop, serving and assisting customers. Volunteers are encouraged to commit to one regular three hour shift per week.
- Patient and Family Support - Volunteers working in this area provide companionship for patients and time out for caregivers in the patient’s own home. Work in this area is patient/whanau driven and can be irregular. No more than two hours are expected on any given day. Volunteers working in this area will be given additional training prior to commencing duties.
- Biography Service - Our biography service offers patients the chance to document significant times in their lives, and leave a lasting legacy for their whanau. There are opportunities for volunteers to work directly with patients and/or be involved in the typing and final production of the biography. Volunteers working in this area will be given additional training prior to commencing duties.
- Office Reception - Helping in the office by answering the phone, greeting visitors, and some basic clerical duties. Shifts from 1pm to 3pm, Monday to Friday.
- Fundraising - Throughout the year various fundraising events are organised by, or held for the benefit of Hospice. These events can offer volunteers a chance to get involved in casual and short term special event volunteering, where tasks and times are variable.
- Hospice Unit - Volunteers help by refilling the tea, coffee & sugar canisters, making sure there are clean cups available and general tidying up of our two-bedded unit in Gisborne Hospital.
- Songsters Group - Providing entertainment to aged care facilities and other community groups around the city. This busy group of singers is co-ordinated by a volunteer who provides members with a monthly list of engagements.
Interested in becoming a volunteer? Want to know more?
Contact volunteer co-ordinator Jane Kibble 869 0552 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
She will then arrange a time to meet with you and discuss volunteering opportunities at Hospice Tairawhiti